Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Enroot! We have already matched all of our students with tutors for the 2016-2017 school year. Your application will be moved a wait-list for next year, and we will look forward to working with you then.
Tutoring is a great way to connect with a local teen and have a positive impact on his or her life. As a tutor, you are a one-on- one academic resource for an immigrant high school student in our Enroot Program. Tutees in the Enroot Program are all immigrant high school students. Students are in grades 9-12 at either Cambridge Rindge and Latin School (CRLS) in Cambridge, MA or Somerville High School (SHS) in Somerville, MA.
You help with homework, language skills, and study skills. After an initial interview and two hour group training, we match you with a student based on the subject area(s) you feel comfortable tutoring. Our staff is on site during all tutoring sessions to support you.
ONCE A WEEK FOR ONE ACADEMIC SEMESTER
(october-JANUARY OR FEBRUARY-JUNE)
6:00 PM -7:30 PM: depending on your tutee's school
Cambridge: Tuesday (Enroot offices)
Somerville: TBD (Location TBD)
1 required 2 hour training, optional networking and training events
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Be in touch! →
- Khan Academy – Videos on topics from virtually all high school subjects and more.
- Breaking News English – Short readings with vocabulary exercises, questions and other activities already prepared.
- ELLO – Listening activities which you can search and select according to level, topic, and speaker’s accent. Recordings often include a transcript.
- NPR – Listening and reading materials which you can search by topic to find a story that matches your student’s interests.
- Dave’s ESL Café – Resources on grammar, slang, idioms, vocabulary, quizzes, etc.